Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Starving Neighbors

I want to start off this post by saying thank you to all the people who are faithfully following along. I am encouraged by your support, and I cannot say thank you enough for that. I didn't start this blog to garner attention or support, but I certainly do appreciate the kind words.

I am quite excited about my purchases at the Farmer's Market this weekened. I didn't get much: beets, purple pole beans, mini-cucumbers, and some fresh kale. I am excited for my morning smoothies. I can add the beet greens to them, and I can also add the kale.

I am excited for sides of cucumber & tomatoe salads with vinegar dressings, and my homemade hummus.

I realized today that this lifestyle change for me is going to effect so many more people then myself. When I am working out, I keep asking myself, who is seeing me run right now, thinking..."If she can do that, then I can do something too." As I learn to prepare fresh food for myself, I can't help but think how greatful I am that I am learning these things now, and not when I am married and with kids. I don't want to pass down bad eating habits, and wrong food messages to children who will learn those things from simply watching me.

One thing I can't get off of my mind though, is how are the people in my community faring right now? Only in America, the land of thousands of opportunites, are we caught in the middle of an obesity epidemic and their are food shelves popping up more and more every single day, because people are starving. I feel guilty that I am able to purchase fresh food. Does organic vs. gmo matter to them? Does frozen vs. canned matter to them? Are they even aware of the fact that thier sodium laden meals are only filling thier bellies?

What does dignity look like to those people? They have already stood in line to get money from the government to get food. Why isn't that food providing the nutrients they need? My heart is literally wrenched at the thought, that I have so much when mom's are struggling with the decision tonight if they are going to be able to eat something tonight or will they give it all to thier children.

Am I crazy in thinking that as I learn more about health and nutrition that God is arming me with this knowledge so I can help others? Why are people being forced to choose between paying rent & fresh food? Real food? Can I simplify my life so much that I can help those without?

I am reminded that thier are many like minded people who are trying to help those in need. That the job isn't up to me alone. I have a dear sweet friend who spends time baking (using real ingredients) and handing those baked goods out to the homeless down by the Doris Day Center in St. Paul. Her thoughts are how many homeless people have a can opener or a pan to cook or heat up those canned goods. I have another friend who is researching organizations in the Twin Cities that take the time to help the poor so he can get involved. I am greatful for these people who see the need. I can't help but think the easy access to empty calories, and fake food, for such a cheap price is what is causing thier to be such an unbalance.

I am not throwing in the towel on this wellness thing because I feel guitly at my ability to eat fresh, while others don't have it. It just makes me very very aware of the difference across the street.

As I ran through the park today, I stopped to fill up my water bottle, and I had the chance to observe a Father with his children. He was running & his kids where on bikes. He kept encouraging them to pedal faster. He was out of breath & I could tell he was working hard. He looked at me & said "keep up the good work. Push harder. I have lost 40lbs just from keeping my family more and more active." His daughter rolled her eyes at him, and said, "Yes, and now we can never have ice cream." He just smiled and said, "It's good for you honey."

I can't help but think that this is what God is saying to me. "This is good for you honey. Keep up the good work. Run harder, eat better, and do more." I am excited to make these changes. I am more excited to help others learn from my own struggles with food, emotions, and unhealthy body images. Life is hard, but with each step I am learning to breath easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment